After an interval of about two and a half months, the government yesterday resumed sending Bangladeshi workers to the violence-torn Iraq with 13 jobseekers to Hanwha Engineering and Construction Company in the country.
“More than 1,400 workers are expected to go to Iraq by next week. The company has assured us of ensuring the protection for them at their workplaces,” Khandker Mosharraf Hossain, minister of expatriates' welfare and overseas employment, told reporters in his office in the capital.
He claimed that there is no conflict in those places where Bangladeshis are working.
Earlier, the government suspended sending the Bangladeshis on June 13 to the Middle Eastern country following intense clashes between the Sunni rebels and the Iraqi government forces.
Since then, over 200 Bangladeshis, including 150 from Hanwha, a South Korean company, returned home to avoid clashes.
Bangladesh Ambassador in Baghdad Maj Gen Rezanur Rahman Khan said he had clarified the government to send people after observing the stable situation to the northern region.
Hanwha, the largest employer of Bangladeshis to Iraq, now wants to hire many, he told The Daily Star.
Some Bangladeshis working for Hanwha, however, informed that there is still a risk of insecurity in Iraq as well as at their workplace.
The company is still not allowing us to go outside the factory border, said Sohel Rana, one of the workers, on Monday.
Currently, over 20,000 Bangladeshis are working at various sectors in Iraq.