The government has decided to challenge a High Court order that granted bail to Tuba Group Managing Director Delwar Hossain in a case filed in connection with the Tazreen Fashions fire at Ashulia that killed 112 in 2012.
Acting Attorney General Murad Reza yesterday told The Daily Star that his office had already initiated the process for filing a petition with the Supreme Court seeking stay on the HC order of bail to Delwar.
An advocate-on-record had been assigned for preparing and submitting the stay petition, and two to three days will be needed for filing the petition, he added.
Delwar has been behind bars since February 9 this year in this case as Tazreen Fashions is a concern of Tuba Group.
Deputy Attorney General Shafiul Bashar Bhandary said the HC bench of Justice Syed AB Mahmudul Huq and Justice Md Nazrul Islam Talukder on July 24 granted ad interim bail for two months to Delwar in the case following a bail petition filed by the accused.
The bench granted bail to Delwar after his lawyer, AM Aminuddin, argued that unrest had been created as the workers of his garment factories did not get salaries since he was taken in custody, he said.
DAG Bhandary said he opposed the bail petition before the HC, as there were serious allegations against Delwar of committing negligence in saving the lives of 112 people from the deadly fire at Tazreen.
He also said the government has decided to challenge the HC order of bail considering the allegation against him.
However, Delwar's lawyer Aminuddin could not be reached as he is now in the USA.
In December last year, police pressed homicide charges against 13 people, including Delwar and chairman of the company Mahmuda Akhter, also Delwar's wife.
The couple are also facing charges of negligence that led to so many casualties in the blaze.
According to the charge sheet, they had constructed the building on a faulty plan and illegally used the ground-floor walkway as a warehouse.
Of the 11 other accused, the factory manager, quality manager, engineer and production manager were shown as fugitives in the charge sheet.
In June last year, a probe body formed by the home ministry submitted a report to the HC, saying there was "unpardonable negligence" on the part of the owner.