12:02 AM, May 27, 2014 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:53 AM, March 08, 2015

Councillor Nila remanded

Councillor Nila remanded

Our Correspondent, Narayanganj

Narayanganj city ward councillor Jannatul Ferdous Nila was placed on a three-day remand yesterday hours after she was arrested in a case filed for the murder of one Jewel in 2013.
Locals believe Nila was having an affair with Nur Hossain -- prime suspect of the gruesome seven-murder in Narayanganj.
Police detained Nila in Mijmiji area in the wee hours of yesterday, officer-in-charge of Siddhirganj Police Station said.
Nila, the ward councillor of ward -4, -5 and -6, was arrested following the confessional statements of Sohag and Mona, two accused in the 2013 Jewel murder case.

The two men claimed that Nila was involved in Jewel's murder in Siddhirganj area on October 26.
Jewel's decapitated body was recovered from Jalkuri area in Shiddhirganj.
The Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Zabid Hossain passed the remand order after Siddhirganj police produced Nila before the court with a seven-day remand prayer.
The ward councillor's family members meanwhile denied her involvement in the murder. They said Nila had ousted Sohag and Mona from her wards following Jewel's murder, and that they might be trying to implicate her in the murder to take revenge.  
Her family also claimed that even though Nila was being shown arrested in the Jewel murder, the police were trying to link her with the seven-murder case.
Quoting police sources, our Narayanganj correspondent reports that Nila had not been arrested before because former Narayanganj superintendent of police Syed Nurul Islam had asked former Shiddhirganj OC Abdul Matin not to do so, owing to her “relationship” with Nur Hossain.
Former SP Syed Nurul had also transferred the investigation officer of Jewel's murder case Sub-Inspector Nazrul Islam.
On May 18, police detained Nila for interrogation in connection with the seven murders, including Narayanganj panel mayor Nazrul Islam.
Nila was picked up after she placed her deposition before a probe committee which is dealing with the seven-murder case.
On April 27, seven people -- Nazrul Islam, three of his associates, and Nazrul's driver, and Chandan Sarker and his driver -- were kidnapped separately but around the same time from the Dhaka-Narayanganj link road.
Six of their bodies were found in the Shitalakkhya river three days later and another the next day.
The seven-member probe committee formed upon the High Court order interrogated six police officers, including two former officers-in-charge at the Narayanganj Circuit House yesterday.
The OCs are former officers-in-charge of Fatullah and Shiddhirganj police stations Akhtar Hossain and Abdul Matin.
Akhtar Hossain and Saiful Islam had allegedly refused to accept a case deceased Nazrul's family wanted to file accusing Rab of taking Tk 6 crore from Nur Hossain to have the seven killed.
Former OC Abdul Matin was being questioned because of his alleged “closeness” with Nur Hossain.
Protests against the murder continued across the district town yesterday.
Narayanganj unit of Bangladesh Mahila Parishad staged a demonstration with family members of the seven murdered men in front of Rab-11 office.
They called for confiscation of all properties owned by those accused of the murders.  
The Narayanganj District Lawyers' Association boycotted the court for an hour in protest.


Leave your comments