• Saturday, February 28, 2015

2 killed in 'gunfight' in Ctg, Satkhira

Star Online Report

An Islami Chhatra Shibir activist and an alleged carjacker were killed in alleged gunfights with police in Satkania upazila of Chittagong and Satkhira town today.

The dead Shibir activist and another one arrested after the 'gunfight' were accused in at least 20 cases filed for murder, sabotage and criminal attacks as part of protests against death sentence to Jamaat leader Delawar Hossain Sayedee in February last year, said police in Chittagong.

According to them, they were going to arrest two Shibir activists -- Jasim Uddin, 35, and Mohammad Rafique, 30, near Kewochia High School when the 'gunfight' ensued.

When the policemen reached No. 2 bridge of Keranihat-Bandarbab road around 11:00am, 15 to 20 Jamaat-Shibir activists opened fire on them, said Sub Inspector Najmul Haque of Satkania Police Station, who led the drive.

Police fired back, he said.

After 15 to 20 minutes of gunfight, all but the two managed to flee. Jasim and Rafique were held with bullet injuries and were taken to Satkania Upazila Health Complex.

Police said they seized two firearms, eight cartridges and several sharp weapons from the spot.

Meantime, the Shibir activists were taken to Chittagong Medical College Hospital (CMCH) at around 3:30pm.

Duty at the hospital declared Jasim was "brought dead" while Rafique was admitted there.

Challenging the police's statement, Karim Uddin, Rafique's younger brother, told The Daily Star that some plainclothes policemen picked up the two friends.

Identifying them as supporters of Jamaat, Karim admitted that the two took part in different demonstrations after Sayedee's conviction last year.

Meanwhile, on information that some carjackers were passing through Satkhira district after hijacking the car of Sanjana Zerin, wife of an army officer stationed at Dhaka Cantonment, police signaled a car to stop at Chaltetola area in the town at 12:30am today.

The car was hijacked at Rajanigandha Shopping Tower in the capital around 3:30pm Tuesday, according to Inamul Haque, officer-in-charge of Satkhria Sadar Police Station.

Sensing police presence, the carjackers fired five to six bullets and hurled three handmade bombs at the law enforcers, forcing them to fire back, Haque said.

After 15 minutes of gunfight, Ekramullah Babu, 40, a resident of Sultanpur in the town and his employee Shahidul Islam of Modhumollardangi area were arrested, both bullet-hit.

Babu died at Satkhira Sadar Hospital around 4:30am, doctors said.    

Shahidul, now undergoing treatment at the hospital, claimed that Mahbubur Rahman, an acquaintance of Babu, was driving the car, which he claimed to be belonging to one of his relatives now visiting India, to Satkhira town when police asked them to stop.

As they did not stop, police opened fire, he added.

A police constable also received minor injuries, police claimed.


Published: 10:13 am Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Last modified: 10:46 pm Wednesday, February 12, 2014

TAGS: police Satkhira gunfight Car lifter

Leave your comments | Comment Policy
ICC Cricket World Cup