Three people were injured yesterday when a fire broke out at Bangla Japan Trading Ltd, a company owned by a Japanese entrepreneur in Ashulia in Dhaka. There were no fatalities reported.
Fire fighters doused the fire after three hours, and production was suspended at seven units following the incident.
Around 30,000 pieces of shipment-ready sweaters were lost to the fire.
The fire originated on the top floor of the seven-storey building that housed three units: H2O Printing Factory, Brine Knit Ltd and Bangla Japan Trading Ltd, said Mohammad Asaduzzaman Khan, coordinator of the company.
Akram Hossain, a factory security guard, said he saw the fire at the woven unit on the top floor around 7:45am.
Casualties were avoided as the incident happened early in the morning and none of the workers employed by the company had reached the site yet, Hossain said.
The fire might have originated from a faulty electric wire, said Rafiqul Islam, assistant director of Fire Service and Civil Defence Dhaka.
At least three people suffered minor injuries while helping fire fighters battling the blaze, witnesses said.