Two suspects detained | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, July 05, 2016 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:14 AM, July 05, 2016

Gulshan Cafe Siege

Two suspects detained

Says IGP; case may be filed anytime soon

Share this with

Copy this link

Inspector General of Police AKM Shahidul Hoque yesterday said two suspects in Friday's terror attack had been detained.

They were in police custody and one of them was being treated at a hospital, he said.

The police chief, however, did not say anything about their identity or whether they had been at the scene during the attack on Holey Artisan Bakery cafe in Gulshan.

The suspects would be taken on remand and interrogated once a case is filed, he said at a discussion in the capital.

Meanwhile, all preparations for filing a case over the attack were complete last night, said police sources.

“We are drafting the First Information Report and will register it tonight. Apart from the attackers who were killed, some suspects might be named as accused in it,” said a top police official last evening.

Even though the IGP talked about detaining two suspects, Detective Branch (DB) of police officials told The Daily Star about more suspects.

They said one of them appears to be a Rohingya man. 

Despite repeated queries, he was not saying anything, said a top DB

official, wishing not to be named.

He said the young man was trying to get out of the restaurant during the hostage situation when law enforcers shot and detained him. He was now undergoing treatment at a city hospital.

Another suspect is a Bangladesh born Canadian citizen. He returned home only the day before the attack and went to the restaurant with his two female friends, the official said.

The girls were students of a private university where some of the attackers also studied, said the official, who also did not wish to be named.

A former teacher of the same university was also a suspect.

He is a Bangladesh-born British Citizen. He returned to Bangladesh around one and a half years ago after spending 20 years in the UK.

Another suspect was from Jaldhaka of Nilphamari, said the official, adding that he gave investigators nothing but his name during the interrogation, leading to suspicion.

These men were among the 27 people who were either rescued or detained from the Gulshan restaurant following Friday's attacks.

Police said it takes time for filing a case over the incident as they had to coordinate with the army and different units of law enforcement agencies who were a part of the rescue operation.

IGP

Speaking at the discussion yesterday, IGP Hoque, quoting survivors, said the attackers brutally murdered the foreigners within 20 minutes of storming into the upscale eatery in Gulshan.

The programme was organised at the Rajarbagh Police Lines to remember the two police officers killed in the attack.

They are Assistant Commissioner of Detective Branch of Police Rabiul Islam and Officer-in-Charge of Banani Police Station Salauddin Khan.

The police chief told his audience they had information that terrorists could carry out more subversive activities in the capital and that they were looking for them as suspects.

He also urged people to notify police immediately if any of their family members, who could be radicalised, goes missing.

He also announced to give Tk 20 lakh  to each of the families of the two brave police officers.

FORENSIC FINDINGS

Four forensic doctors and five staff of the Dhaka Medical College conducted postmortem on 20 bodies of Gulshan restaurant attack victims at the medical morgue.

Almost all the victims were stabbed in the shoulders and necks with sharp weapons, said doctors.

Sohel Mahmud, an assistant professor who was a member of the doctors' team, said the bodies bore the hallmark of militant attacks.

The postmortem on the other bodies, including that of the attackers, would be performed today.

AN ATTACKER WAS IN MAKING

CNN reports, the last time attacker Meer Sameh Mobasheer's family saw him was when he walked out the door, munching on popcorn headed to an examination preparation class.

That was February 29.

For four long months, the family looked for him, considering and dismissing scenario after scenario: Maybe he ran away. Maybe he fell in love and eloped. Maybe he was kidnapped.

Through it all, Mobasheer's family worried about another possibility: Maybe he was recruited by Islamists. On Saturday, the family learned their worst fear had become reality.

Relatives showed them a picture of Mobasheer posted on an ISIS-affiliated site that identified him as one of the attackers in the deadly attack on the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka.

"That's not my son, that's not my son," Meer Hayet Kabir said. "He was full of humanity."

Mobasheer spent the previous six months studying hard for his upcoming A-level examinations. But the family did notice one change: He had stopped sketching.

Kabir said theirs is an upper middle class family -- he's an executive in a telecommunications company.

Kabir said he has yet to identify his son's body. The pain is still too raw.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Share this with

Copy this link

Top News

Top