Denied permission by Dhaka Metropolitan Police, the BNP-led 19-party alliance yesterday once again deferred its protest rally by a day.
The rally will now be held tomorrow.
This was the third time in a week the opposition combine has been refused permission by the law enforcers to hold a rally or procession in the capital.
However, in a press release late last night, the BNP said the programme has been rescheduled due to the Akheri Munajat of the second phase of Biswa Ijtema today.
Originally, the rally was to be held at the capital's Suhrawardy Udyan yesterday to protest the denial of permission to bring out a black flag procession on January 29.
But as the DMP denied the alliance permission for arranging the programme, the combine deferred the rally to today.
Earlier in mid-January, BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia had announced black flag processions across the country to denounce the January 5 “farcical election” and the convening of “illegal parliament”.
Talking to this correspondent, Masudur Rahman, deputy commissioner (media) of DMP, last night said he was not aware of receiving any application from the BNP-led alliance seeking permission for a rally.
However, Abdul Latif Jony, assistant office secretary of the BNP, claimed they have a copy of the application received by the DMP commissioner's office yesterday morning.
PRESS BRIEFING BY RIZVI
BNP Joint Secretary General Rizvi Ahmed yesterday blasted the government for repeated refusal of permission for holding rallies in the capital.
As the present “illegal government” is afraid of people, it is not allowing the opposition to hold any programme, he told a press conference at the party's Nayapaltan headquarters in the evening.
Rizvi accused the government of killing people in the name of crossfire for boycotting the January 5 “farcical polls”. He added the administration, joint forces and Awami League cadres are “being used to kill opposition leaders and activists”.
And the government, he said, would have to face trial for this.